Thursday, June 18, 2009

the truth about superhero-dom


Who doesn't want to fly or have super powers or transcend natural and civic laws and cultures in the name of humanity? At the very least the majority of us are superhero hopefuls in the making. It's simply a matter of stripping down to your birth suit. In other words, you're a superhero...you just aren't aware of it yet.

There's a great scene from Kill Bill, where Bill shoots Beatrix (The Bride) in the leg with a truth serum injection, and a classic monologue regarding Superman spills forth.

"Bill: Take my favorite superhero, Superman. Not a great comic book. Not particularly well-drawn. But the mythology... The mythology is not only great, it's unique.
The Bride: [who still has a needle in her leg] How long does this shit take to go into effect?
Bill: About two minutes, just long enough for me to finish my point. Now, a staple of the superhero mythology is, there's the superhero and there's the alter ego. Batman is actually Bruce Wayne, Spider-Man is actually Peter Parker. When that character wakes up in the morning, he's Peter Parker. He has to put on a costume to become Spider-Man. And it is in that characteristic Superman stands alone. Superman didn't become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he's Superman. His alter ego is
Clark Kent. His outfit with the big red "S", that's the blanket he was wrapped in as a baby when the Kents found him. Those are his clothes. What Kent wears - the glasses, the business suit - that's the costume. That's the costume Superman wears to blend in with us. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent. He's weak... he's unsure of himself... he's a coward. Clark Kent is Superman's critique on the whole human race."

This monologue got me thinking about myself...and how I wear my Clark Kent couture everyday, when I really just want to wear my cape and fly around the planet helping people, kittens and other animals in distress. And how different am I really than everyone else? Is it so inconceivable that we're all hiding our cape & tights under our slacks & blazers? Me thinks yes.

And if I'm already a superhero and don't know it...all I have to do is learn the skill sets that will let me tap into my superhero-dom.

Sounds more exciting than anything I’ve watched on TV lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment