Thursday, May 28, 2009

holy guacamole


I love making guac…it’s my thing. Whenever I go to a potluck or dinner or something, I will show up and make some fresh while people are enjoying their beers. It’s always well received…I do put a lot of love into it. All the mashing, chopping, slicing & dicing etc is a meditation of sorts, and I think of all the things for which I am grateful as I make it, and focus with intention on every part of the process infusing every ingredient with l.o.v.e.. It makes the diff, I’m sure.


Ingredients:
love
2 ripe haas avocado
1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro leaves, finely diced, stems discarded before measuring
freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice (1 lemon, 1-2 lime)
4 green onions (long skinny green ones – they seem to have a variety of names), finely chopped
1 roma tomato, diced (with juicey seeds removed – give that tommy a squeeze!)
a few cracks freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp best quality sea salt
1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper/cayenne pepper/chili powder/or adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers. choose one. a little spice is nice.


Directions:
Cut the avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pits (I take my big knife and lightly tap into the pit until it catches, twist it out and discard by tapping into garbage bowl), scoop the flesh out of the skin and mash with a fork in a bowl. Adding in the lemon or lime at this point will help with the mashing.

Add remaining tomato, green onions & cilantro and blend with a fork until the mixture is just slightly lumpy. Season to perfection; let your taste buds guide you.

Serve with tortilla chips, or toasted pita that has been cut into triangles and seasoned with olive oil, sea salt and your choice herbage. Yummy.

Of course these are just guidelines…you’ll figure out your own recipe with time. The rules are there are no rules.

Oh yeah…what's the big deal about sea salt you ask? Personally, I feel it makes things taste far better then your classic iodized salt (blech!!). And, while iodized salt takes away from the body (and contributes to high blood pressure, bloating and grossness in general), a good quality sea salt will give back and nourish.

In case you’re totally intrigued to learn more click here.

I always put a tiny pinch of Celtic sea salt in my water everyday – it adds back minerals and trace elements that are essential for the bodies functioning, but are depleted through diet, lifestyle, and aging.

Back to the guacamole - if you know any guacamole haters out there, try this out on them. They'll be converts, fo shizzle!

No comments:

Post a Comment